firefox fails to show windows and tabs from last time
Topic says it: I've always set firefox to restore my tabs. Recently it's stopped working; only my home page is shown on startup.
Additional System Details
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.10.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- VLC media player Web Plugin 2.0.2
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.4
- HP Product Detection Plugin
- HP Active Check Plugin
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 184.108.40.2069
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:17.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/17.0
Most recent stable firefox, windows 7 64-bit, no recent system changes, etc etc
Hey djbluntmagic. I think this guide will help you.
Make sure that you do not run Firefox in (permanent) Private Browsing mode.
- Tools > Options > Privacy: Use custom settings for history
- Deselect: [ ] "Always use private browsing mode"
In case you are using "Clear history when Firefox closes":
- do not clear the "Browsing History"
- Tools > Options > Privacy: History: [X] Clear history when Firefox closes > Settings
Note that clearing "Site Preferences" clears all exceptions for cookies, images, pop-up windows, software installation, and passwords.
"Tools > Options > Privacy: History: [X] Clear history when Firefox closes > Settings " This isn't an apparent setting in the path you indicated
@openjck Like I said, I already have this feature set
Use "Use custom settings for history" to see all history settings
- Tools > Options > Privacy > Firefox will: "Use custom settings for history"
- Press the F10 key or tap the Alt key to bring up the "Menu Bar" temporarily if the menu bar is hidden.
- Use "Firefox > Options" instead of "Tools > Options" if the menu bar is hidden.
Nah, I've got it on "remember history."
Did you check the settings for "Clear history when Firefox closes" ?
Well it wouldn't do that, would it, if I've got it on "remember history."
Can you please just check those settings to verify that you aren't clearing data?
The "Use custom settings for history" selection allows to see the current history and cookie settings, but selecting this doesn't make any changes to history and cookie settings.
You can check for problems with the sessionstore.js and sessionstore.bak files in the Firefox Profile Folder that store session data.
Delete the sessionstore.js file and possible sessionstore-##.js files with a number and sessionstore.bak in the Firefox Profile Folder.
- Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory: Open Containing Folder
Deleting sessionstore.js will cause App Tabs and Tab Groups and open and closed (undo) tabs to get lost, so you will have to create them again (make a note or bookmark them).
Well, verifying that I have it on "remember history" constitutes checking, since the settings under custom wouldn't be in effect , but OK, I checked, and the setting isn't selected, and followed the ensuing instructions.
Any ideas other than the obvious?
There are at least two conditions required:
- you need to keep history, so verify that you still have those pages in history after restarting Firefox if you haven't removed them manually yourself
- a sessionstore.js file needs to be created that has stored the page from that previous session, so verify that you have this file with a correct time stamp
You can also check if there are recently closed tabs or windows with pages from that previous session.
You can also try to kill Firefox via the task manager to simulate a crash to see if that brings back the tabs.
Also verify that session restore is enabled.
Well thanks for the help. I didn't change anything but it's working again anyway, so I guess I'll be back if it acts up again.