Firefox from one minute to the next crashed. Everytime I opened it up, it became unresponsive. Never an error message, just a pure freeze. The CPU does not go into overdrive. I did a complete uninstall. Created a new profile. As soon as i closed my session, the problem persisted. Even in safe mode, the application freezes completely within 1-3 seconds. Using the latest firefox windows 7 up to date
- All posts
- Helpful Solutions
Install Firefox 18 is latest.
Using a new clean profile in safe mode often fixes most problems as it is close to a clean install, and so if the machine has a suitable specification Firefox would be expected to work ok.
I can see tags and system information at the side of this thread, but as you appear to be freezing within 3 seconds I guess you are posting the message from another machine or another browser.
Regarding your problem machine can you please state:
- Operating System and Version
- Firefox version (Fx17 was recently replaced with Fx18 as the current Release)
- You mention crashes, so would you please check with about:crashes to see if you have any cash information, if so pleasepos a couple of recent Crash IDs
- do other browsers work ok on your problem machine ?
- you may already have seen Firefox hangs or is not responding - How to fix
1) I tried Installing Firefox 18. The problem persists. 2) Since the problem occured, i have installed chrome, opera, safari and all of them work. I have so far not experienced any problems.
3) Here is the info you requested: Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 System type: 64 bit Firefox versions used: 17.1 18
4) Here is a more detailed description of the problem. After uninstalling firefox, i reinstall it using the 18.0 version. It installs without a problem. Once the installation is complete, a firefox window opens up and works. I can do anything i want. Once i quit firefox, every new instance i open freezes:
- Normal mode: Freezes when i click on the + sign for a new tab or click on the address bar or just wait a couple of seconds. - Safe mode: I try and open it up in safe mode, a window appears asking me if i want to open it in safe mode or reset firefox. If i click on reset firefox, the window disappears, a firefox process in open (task manager) but no window opens. - Reset firefox. If I try and reset firefox, the window asking me if i want to open it in safe mode or reset firefox. Upon clicking reset firefox, a new window opens warning me that doing so will delete ... when i click ok, the window closes, however the original window asking me if i want to open it in safe mode or reset firefox freezes.
5) I never get an error message. Where are they kept so that i can attach them.
6) I installed the recommended "SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner Personal Edition" and "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware users". I let those run through the night and removed some threats. This solved the problem after i restarted and reinstalled firefox. Hopefully this was the last time I have this problem again.
Problem fixed. Thanks for the support
Try to boot the computer in Windows Safe mode with network support (press F8 on the boot screen) as a test to see if that helps.
A possible cause is security software (firewall,anti-virus) that blocks or restricts Firefox or the plugin-container process without informing you, possibly after detecting changes (update) to the Firefox program.
Remove all rules for Firefox and the plugin-container from the permissions list in the firewall and let your firewall ask again for permission to get full unrestricted access to internet for Firefox and the plugin-container process and the updater process.
I have the same problem, but I am using a Mac. I tried the fixes suggested in this post but nothing seems to fix it. I looked at the crash report and it says, "No crash reports have been submitted."
I have done it all to try to fix this problem....I have cleared all ad ons, reset Firefox and in desperation uninstalled and re-installed Firefox and nothing helps. All I can do is close Firefox and re open and that usually unfreezes it but then I lose all my retained windows and tabs from my previous session which I need to have. Chrome and IE work perfectly.
This never used to happen. I am on Firefox 21. Please, please fix this somebody.
I have the same problem...with my w7 x64 in some situation when I type.... firefox freeze and I need to restart the pc. with IE10,.... d't have this problem..
I will lock this thread as the original question was solved: apparently a malware problem.
Anyone else with problems please read the suggestions made in this thread, and if that does not help please start your own thread by using /questions/new
(Also remember at the current time Firefox 22 will be the up-to-date release)