mozilla firefox will not upgrade it keeps going back to the old version
I currently have version 3.6 and I'm trying to upgrade but when I do, it goes back to the old version. What do I do? I've already restarted my computer.
Additional System Details
- Google Update
- Shockwave Flash 10.3 r181
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Coupons, Inc. Coupon Printer Plugin
- Coupons, Inc. Coupon Printer DLL
- DivX Web Player version 126.96.36.199
- Office Live Update v1.5
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Yahoo Application State Plugin version 188.8.131.52
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Ok, first, do you have permissions to update Firefox on that computer (are you the only users, have admin, etc.) If you aren't an admin you won't be able to update firefox (or if you are using a program such as deep freeze to lock the computer down).
Then, if you are the admin, use http://ninite.com/firefox-flash/ninite.exe to download Firefox 18.
If there are problems with updating then best is to download the full version of the Firefox installer.
- C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\
Download a fresh Firefox copy and save the file to the desktop.
- Firefox 17.0.x: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all.html
Uninstall your current Firefox version, if possible, to cleanup the Windows registry and settings in security software.
- Do NOT remove personal data when you uninstall your current Firefox version, because all profile folders will be removed and you will also lose your personal data like bookmarks and passwords from profiles of other Firefox versions.
Remove the Firefox program folder before installing that newly downloaded copy of the Firefox installer.
- It is important to delete the Firefox program folder to remove all the files and make sure that there are no problems with files that were leftover after uninstalling.
Your bookmarks and other profile data are stored in the Firefox Profile Folder and won't be affected by an uninstall and (re)install, but make sure that "remove personal data" is NOT selected when you uninstall Firefox.