Search bar and ads won't go away
I had the SweetIM problems and the toolbar is gone but there is a search bar next to my tabs that won't go away and now I have ads on every website I go to. I have a picture of the search bar but I don't know how to upload it.
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- Facebook Video Calling Plugin
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Google Update
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.5.2"
- Musicnotes Viewer plugin 1.19.0 For more information visit www.musicnotes.com
- BlackBerry WebSL Browser Plug-In
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Pando Web Plugin
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.5
- Motive Plugin for Mozilla Browsers
- DivX Web Player version 184.108.40.206
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; WOW64; rv:17.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/17.0
You can't attach a screenshot to the first post that starts a thread, but you can do that in subsequent replies.
Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance).
- Do not click the Reset button on the Safe mode start window or otherwise make changes.
Do a malware check with some malware scanning programs on the Windows computer.
You need to scan with all programs because each program detects different malware.
Make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of their databases before doing a scan.
- http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- http://www.superantispyware.com/ - SuperAntispyware
- http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx - Microsoft Safety Scanner
- http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx - Windows Defender: Home Page
- http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html - Spybot Search & Destroy
You can also do a check for a rootkit infection with TDSSKiller.
- "Spyware on Windows": http://kb.mozillazine.org/Popups_not_blocked