Windows XP Pro.Firefox 17.0.1 I enter my new password in gmail over the remembered old password & it kicks back to old password
When opening gmail, Firefox remembers my old password...normally I just highlight and type over the old password with my new password and enter the account...3 times in the last month, after "typing over" the old password, it reverts itself to the old password and won't allow me to enter gmail...I end up messing with cookies and clearing cache and eventually resetting Firefox...it's a real pain...can anyone tell me what's causing this????
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- Amazon MP3 Downloader Plugin 1.0.17
- Google Update
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.4
- Picasa plugin
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Version 1.1.0, copyright 1996-2010 The VideoLAN Teamhttp://www.videolan.org/
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:17.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/17.0
You can check if there are entries in the password manager with an empty user name.
Make sure that you haven't saved multiple (uppercase, lowercase) versions of that name and password.
Remove saved Password(s):
- Tools > Options > Security: Passwords: "Saved Passwords" > "Show Passwords"
See also Troubleshooting:
I removed the old password...time will tell if this works, but I'm still left with the question of "what caused this to happen at intermittent times"...if there was a conflict, why didn't that conflict allow me to never get to my gmail account? Instead...it works fine for a while and then does not allow me access??? It still appears this has something to do with cookies and/or cache....clearing cache & deleting cookies worked once, but the next time, I had to reset Firefox in order to get to my gmail account???
This can also be caused by corrupted cookies or cookies that aren't send or otherwise blocked.
Clear the cache and the cookies from sites that cause problems.
"Clear the Cache":
- Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Cached Web Content: "Clear Now"
"Remove Cookies" from sites causing problems:
- Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies: "Show Cookies"