Firefox crashed and after numerous downloads it sort of limps along but it's nothing like it was.
I was downloading a file using Download Helper and Firefox suddenly crashed. When I tried to get it to run again I got a message saying it could not connect. Restarting the computer and running a virus scan did nothing. I am using Mac OS 10.5.8 and never had a problem with any version of Firefox until now. I have the distinct feeling that the browser had a built in extinction date or something and I just happened to be on when it hit. I would like to keep using Firefox, but I'm not sure that will happen unless someone has some ideas about what went wrong and how to restore things.
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 10.3 r183
- DivX VOD Helper Plug-in
- DivX Plus Web Player version 18.104.22.168
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- RocketLife Software Component
- WebEx General Plugin Container Version 166
- The Flip4Mac WMV Plugin allows you to view Windows Media content using QuickTime.
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; rv:15.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/15.0.1
I uninstalled Firefox and then had trouble finding a version that would install on my computer. Compatibility listings showing which version of Firefox will work are wrong. I finally wound up downloading version 15 and I got many messages telling me Mac OS 10.5 is no longer supported by Firefox. Version 15 will open but does not function like what I had before and is no longer truly supported by Firefox. Basically, all the help I get from Mozilla is a suggestion to buy a new computer. Some help that is. Anyway, I would like to know about this
If you get a message that Firefox can't access the profile folder then try to trash the current profiles.ini file to force Firefox to create a new default profile.
Firefox 16 versions work on an Intel Mac with the OS X 10.5 operating system, but that is the last Firefox version that will work with this OS.
Firefox 17 require OS X 10.6 or later, so if you want to continue using Firefox beyond Firefox 16 then you need to update your OS.
You can see the Firefox 17 system requirements here:
Firefox 16.0.2 release: