Firefox. crashes on startup; I've uninstalled, reinstalled, reset, run in safe mode, it happens every time.
I've run it for years, and its never happened before. Its updated, and I ran my virus scan, spyware scan, and disc cleanup. I even ran CCleaner. Nothing works. I've clicked the box to send a report.
Additional System Details
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/534.57.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1.7 Safari/534.57.2
We're sorry to hear that your Firefox seems to be crashing when you open it. Please perform the following steps to give us a crash report ID that helps us find out more about the cause of the crash.
- Press the following shortcut to get a Run window: [Windows] + [R]. This should bring up a window that contains a text field.
- In that text field, enter %APPDATA% and press Enter. An explorer window should open.
- From that explorer window, double-click on the Mozilla folder, then double-click on Firefox and then on Crash reports. Double-click on submitted.
- Now, you should see a list of files that contain reports. Go to View > Arrange Icons by > Modified to get the most recent files at the top of the window.
- Open the most recent 5 files with a text editor and copy the IDs.
- Paste each ID into the reply window on the forums.
Thanks in advance!
You can find more information and troubleshooting steps in the Firefox crashes - Troubleshoot, prevent and get help fixing crashes article.
Crash ID: bp-2ba65144-8249-4d00-ba55-7537a2121207 Crash ID: bp-7ba4be34-a88e-4355-8b46-693722121207 Crash ID: bp-dde38c9c-d9af-4d78-80cb-51d182121207 Crash ID: bp-8902e8ce-f39f-42f8-8682-c92e32121207 Crash ID: bp-443d7b4f-9d86-4b5f-8ad3-ec29f2121207
Modified by cor-el
No response to the info I provided?
BTW: accidentally discovered that if I log into CCleaner, and click, "update," it takes me to the update page on firefox and I can then access all of my firefox stuff.
Lotsa help here...
Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance).
- Do not click the Reset button on the Safe mode start window or otherwise make changes.
Try to disable hardware acceleration in Firefox.
- Tools > Options > Advanced > General > Browsing: "Use hardware acceleration when available"
I did try starting it in safe mode, but the same thing would happen every time. I uninstalled Firefox before, and reinstalled it, but there was no change. However, last night, out of desperation, I uninstalled/reinstalled again, and it was working as of the time I went to bed.
I'll check again when I get off work tonight, but hopefully, its still running.
Hi there. Until yesterday, i had the exact same problem. the only thing i could do was check the 'configuration' files of firefox.
Eventually, after reinstalling twice, starting in safe mode and about everything else you can find here, i remembered the adobe flash plugin update i had installed. I uninstalled the flash player but not the active X component (because otherwise i had to shut down IE where i was looking for a solution... yes, i know IE, i can feel your glaring eyes and i feel the shame).
After uninstalling the flash player, i tried Firefox again. It worked almost perfectly, except for some pages like youtube who seem to be needing this flash player. Upon visiting youtube, Firefox will notify you that you a missing the flash player. Allow it to do so and everything runs fine again.
This worked for my, i dont have any other solutions, but perhaps it helps.
cheers and good luck!
For Flash problems see articles like
- Flash 11.3 doesn't load video in Firefox
- Adobe Flash plugin has crashed - Prevent it from happening again
If it is a Cash obtain the Crash ID by typing into the location bar about:crashes that information usually helps identify the cause of a specific crash.
It is best to start your own thread by using /questions/new if you have a crash problem, and remember the troubleshooting information when you are prompted to provide it, also as already mentioned please include a couple of Crash IDs
Mozilla crashed on startup today. I followed the steps below and I've got 1360273281.
Press the following shortcut to get a Run window: [Windows] + [R]. This should bring up a window that contains a text field. In that text field, enter %APPDATA% and press Enter. An explorer window should open. From that explorer window, double-click on the Mozilla folder, then double-click on Firefox and then on Crash reports. Double-click on submitted. Now, you should see a list of files that contain reports. Go to View > Arrange Icons by > Modified to get the most recent files at the top of the window. Open the most recent 5 files with a text editor and copy the IDs. Paste each ID into the reply window on the forums.
I suggest you start your own thread using /questions/new
The number quoted does not appear to be a Firefox CrashID please see
- use Windows 8
- probably on Firefox version 19
- and it is an AMD system
just possibly the advice in this thread /questions/951097 may be relevant, but we need the Crash ID in order to decide and offer the correct advice.