Recently, most of the icons that signify specific sources or locations or actions on web pages in my browser have stopped appearing. I get either no image or only generic gray icons (like a document icon). It makes most sites (e.g. like Amazon) nearly unusable. I don't think I've made any changes recently in my browser or my system. What has happened and how can I get my icons back. (BTW, I am NOT having this problem with Internet Explorer.) I am using Firefox 17.0.1, with an up-to-date Windows 7.
- All posts
- Helpful Solutions
Please try a Ctrl + F5 refresh. You may also have to Clear Now the Cache, Site Preferences , and Cookies with Time range to clear set to Everything via Tools (Alt + T) > Clear Recent History.
If the problem persists, you can reset Firefox and start afresh.
The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information. Note: This will cause you to lose any Extensions, Open websites, and some Preferences.
To Reset Firefox do the following:
- Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
- Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
- Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
- Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.
Further information can be found in the Reset Firefox – easily fix most problems article.
Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!
If you would like to save a listing of the add-ons, changed preferences/settings etc. to quickly replicate the previous profile, please Copy all to clipboard (on the left of the reset button), and paste it into Office Excel, or OpenOffice/LibreOffice Calc, or notepad. However, it would be a good idea to check for the existence of the issue immediately after the reset.
Can you attach a screenshot?
Use a compressed image type like PNG or JPG to save the screenshot.
If images are missing then check that you aren't blocking images from some domains.
- Check the permissions for the domain in the current tab in "Tools > Page Info > Permissions"
- Check that images are enabled: Tools > Options > Content: [X] Load images automatically
- Check the exceptions in "Tools > Options > Content: Load Images > Exceptions"
- Check the "Tools > Page Info > Media" tab for blocked images (scroll through all the images with the cursor Down key).
If an image in the list is grayed and there is a check-mark in the box "Block Images from..." then remove that mark to unblock the images from that domain.
Make sure that you do not block third-party images, the permissions.default.image pref should be 1.
There are also extensions (Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) and security software (firewall, anti-virus) that can block images.
Somehow my "load images automatically" box had become unchecked. Checking that box solved my problem. Thank you!