I tried to go to websites I visit everyday and they are all blocked by a virus that appears to be from Mozilla (but isn't) and shows mozilla logo and said my website was blocked by Mozilla parent control and you have to sign up for it. It asks for all the personal info that you NEVER give online so I knew it was a virus. I am writing this in safe mode. My Vipre will not pick up this virus and Malware bites won't either. I deleated Mozilla and reinstalled it but it didn't work.
- All posts
- Helpful Solutions
The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information. Note: This will cause you to lose any Extensions, Open websites, and some Preferences.
To Reset Firefox do the following:
- Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
- Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
- Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
- Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.
Further information can be found in the Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings article.
Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!
That didn't work. It looks like a virus. I'm back in safe mode again. A pop up comes up when I try to go to any website and it says:"The website you try to view is blocked by Firefox Parent Control. Please set up Parental Control account to continue use Firefox browser" Then it has an OK button and when you click on it it wants personal info. like social security number, birthdate, credit card info. etc. It disabled my Vipre. And Malwarebytes doesn't pick it up either not even in safe mode, HELP!!
Can you attach a screenshot?
Use a compressed image type like PNG or JPG to save the screenshot.
Do a malware check with some malware scanning programs on the Windows computer.
You need to scan with all programs because each program detects different malware.
Make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of their databases before doing a scan.
- http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- http://www.superantispyware.com/ - SuperAntispyware
- http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx - Microsoft Safety Scanner
- http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx - Windows Defender: Home Page
- http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html - Spybot Search & Destroy
You can also do a check for a rootkit infection with TDSSKiller.
- "Spyware on Windows": http://kb.mozillazine.org/Popups_not_blocked
Hi, IT WORKED!!! I already used Vipre and Malware Bytes and they didn't work so I tried your suggestion on Microsoft Safety Scanner and after a 3 hour scan, it removed 30 infected files and I'm back in business (literally) I have a home business that can't operate without the internet so THANKS again!! Sooo happy to hear from such smart thinkers!!