Want to delete Firefox and start over ...
I have an up to date Firefox 17.0 on my PC running Windows 7. I have a problem in that I had cleaned out all my bookmarks in IE and want to import the new ones into Firefox. I could not do that so I decided to uninstall Firefox. Went to Programs and it was listed but when I went to uninstall, it said it had already been uninstalled (???) So - I just updated Firefox and no bookmarks appeared at all. When I imported them, it only brought in about 8 bookmarks and there are perhaps 30 or so. What did I do wrong? I am rather frustrated and would actually love to uninstall and do a clean reinstall but can't! HELP!
Additional System Details
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.44.23
- Version 188.8.131.5212
- Shockwave Flash 11.4 r402
- BlackBerry WebSL Browser Plug-In
- Google Update
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.4
- Coupons, Inc. Coupon Printer Plugin
- Coupons, Inc. Coupon Printer DLL
- Picasa plugin
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Motive Plugin for Mozilla Browsers
- AppWorld NPAPI plugin
- Windows Activation Technologies Plugin for Mozilla
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:17.0) Gecko/17.0 Firefox/17.0
Certain Firefox problems can be solved by performing a Clean reinstall. This means you remove Firefox and any leftover program files and then reinstall Firefox. Please follow these steps one by one:
- Download the latest Desktop version of Firefox from http://www.mozilla.org and save the setup file to your computer.
- After the download finishes, close all Firefox windows (click Exit from the Firefox or File menu) and confirm all upcoming messages.
- Now, uninstall Firefox by following the steps mentioned in the Uninstall Firefox article.
IMPORTANT: On Windows, the uninstaller has the option to remove your personal data and settings. Make sure that you do not check this option; otherwise all of your bookmarks, passwords, extensions, user customizations and other Firefox user profile data will be removed from your computer.
After uninstalling Firefox on Windows, delete the "Mozilla Firefox" program folder, located by default in one of these locations:
- (On 32-bit Windows) C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
- (On 64-bit Windows) C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox
- Go to the Windows Start menu and click on "Computer".
- In the Explorer window that opens, double click Local Disk (C:) to open the C:\ drive.
- Find the "Program Files (x86)" folder or "Program Files" folder.
- On 32-bit Windows, double-click the Program Files folder to open it.
- On 64-bit Windows, you will see a "Program Files (x86)" folder AND a "Program Files" folder. Open the Program Files (x86) folder.
- Look for a Mozilla Firefox folder. If you find one, right-click it and select Delete and confirm that you want to move the folder to the Recycle Bin.
Now, go ahead and reinstall Firefox:
- Double-click the downloaded installation file and go through the steps of the installation wizard.
- Once the wizard is finished, choose to directly open Firefox after clicking the Finish button.
Please report back to see if this helped you!
The problem is that qwhen I go to Programs - Mozilla Firefox is NOT there so I cannot uninstall it!
Follow all the other directions.
When I go to Program it says An error occured while trying to uninstall Firefox 17.0. It may have already been uninstalled .. I cannot uninstall it but it is on my computer!
Try the following:
- Restart your computer
- Download Firefox from www.getfirefox.com, then install it
- Try the above post again.
If you have problems with importing the IE Favorites in Firefox then export the favorites in IE to an HTML file and import that file in the Firefox Bookmarks Manager.
If you do not have the menu bar in IE then right-click the toolbar at the top to enable the Menu Bar.
- Export the favorites in IE to an HTML file (bookmarks.html):
File > Import and Export
- Import the HTML file in Firefox:
Bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks > Import & Backup > Import Bookmarks from HTML: From File
See "Import from another browser" and "Import from file":