Cannot restore "Search the web from the Address Bar" feature
I have just recovered my system from the Funmoods virus. In the process, I uninstalled all the Funmoods components and then cleaned my registry with Malwarebytes. However, I can no longer search the web from the address bar in Firefox. I followed the instructions in the Mozilla help section on this (here: http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/search-web-address-bar). My config settings are:
keyword.URL default string keyword.enabled default boolean true
I believe these are the correct settings, but clearly either they are wrong or there are other settings I need to adjust. Can anyone steer me in the right direction on this?
The only thing you would lose from a rest is your extensions, nothing else. However, try this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/searchreset/Read this answer in context 3
Additional System Details
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.44.23
- Version 184.108.40.20612
- Shockwave Flash 11.4 r402
- NVIDIA 3D Vision plugin for Mozilla browsers
- NVIDIA 3D Vision Streaming plugin for Mozilla browsers
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.9.2 for Mozilla browsers
- Google Update
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Amazon MP3 Downloader Plugin 1.0.17
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:16.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/16.0
Here are my important modified preferences:
The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information. Note: This will cause you to lose any Extensions, Open websites, and some Preferences.
To Reset Firefox do the following:
- Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
- Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
- Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
- Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.
Further information can be found in the Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings article.
Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!
Yes I am aware that I can restore Firefox to its default settings, but that's not what I want to do. Honestly at this point if I were going to lose all my history, settings, passwords, extensions and bookmarks I would probably just switch to Chrome. What I am looking for here is a fix to my problem. Sorry if that wasn't clear from my original question.
Modified by caf21
The only thing you would lose from a rest is your extensions, nothing else. However, try this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/searchreset/
Yup, that did it. Thanks!