Firefox doesn't work with Windows 8
I installed Windows 8 a couple of weeks ago and then downloaded Firefox. I've had problems getting pages to render properly, slow speed etc. IE10 seems to work fine. What's the issue?
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
Downloaded Windows 8
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.9.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.0
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; rv:16.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/16.0
Try to disable hardware acceleration in Firefox.
- Tools > Options > Advanced > General > Browsing: "Use hardware acceleration when available"
A possible cause is security software (firewall,anti-virus) that blocks or restricts Firefox or the plugin-container process without informing you, possibly after detecting changes (update) to the Firefox program.
Remove all rules for Firefox and the plugin-container from the permissions list in the firewall and let your firewall ask again for permission to get full unrestricted access to internet for Firefox and the plugin-container process and the updater process.
Interesting that security software is the problem. I had the same security software for the past 4 years with earlier versions of Firefox and it never caused a problem. I find it odd that now all of a sudden it's a problem. Sorry, but I don't buy it.
Neither the disabling of hardware acceleration or resetting of security worked. It simply takes too much time to load pages not related to what I've requested. I ask for my email and it loads a background page on sports, etc.
Modified by Pcobiwan
Found the answer in another part of the forums. Uninstall Firefox, but leave your personal information (bookmarks, etc.) Reinstall Firefox. That worked for me!
Modified by Pcobiwan