Need to make ".com" the default web extension.
I used to be able to type "mazilla" and it would take me to "mozilla.com". Now, it taks me to my assigned search engine (monstercrawler.com). I have my "about:config" "alternate.suffix" assigned to ".com", but it doesn't work. Even after a re-start, then a system re-start.
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
3 days ago.
- Gecko default plugin
- Runs Java applets using the latest installed versions of Java. For more information: Java Embedding Plugin. Run version test: Java Information.
- Displays Java applet content, or a placeholder if Java is not installed.
- Shockwave Flash 11.4 r402
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:18.104.22.168) Gecko/20120306 Firefox/3.6.28
It just started happening. I leve my machine running 24/7/365, so I re-started. No dice - still does.
Do I need to trash my preferences? Ouch - I have LOTS of changes is about:config
You should immediately upgrade to Firefox 16.0.2, as the version you are using is EXTREMELY Old and insecure, plus is known to have many bugs, crashes, etc. After upgrading, please test again.
Interesting. I use it with the same Firefox and OS on 3 other machines, and it all works fine. But I did as you said, and it asks me to install "Rosetta" for the Firefox 10.1. Uh, no.
Also, some warnings about 11 crashes. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/flash-113-crashes
Not sure what Rosetta is, that's nothing with Firefox but might be an add-on you have installed.
The article you linked is about Flash crashing, which can occour in any version of Firefox, but mainly affects windows.
so did you update to 16.0.2?
Rosetta is for PPC code (older Macs). I need Intel code (ugh! I'm an AMD fan!) I am using Firefox 16.0.2 right now, and I tried "kijiji" and then "apple" and then "ibm" - and all go to my search engine, and don't put ".com" at the end.
Again, my laptop (running Firefox 3.6 and OS 10.6) are fine with tthe ".com" being added on automatically. It's just frustrating tat this one did until 2 days ago, now won't - even with 16.0.2 update.