When I open a new window, it opens behind the exist ing window instead of in front of it. How can I fix this?
When I click on a link and I choose the option to open link in a new window, it opens behind the currently open window instead of in front of it. This is a real nuisance. Why is this happening, and how do I fix it?
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
Firefox 13 update
- Shockwave Flash 11.4 r402
- Google Update
- McAfee MSC FF plugin DLL
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.7.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- NVIDIA 3D Vision Streaming plugin for Mozilla browsers
- NVIDIA 3D Vision plugin for Mozilla browsers
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 184.108.40.2066
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.5.2"
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- RealNetworks(tm) RealPlayer Chrome Background Extension Plug-In
- RealPlayer(tm) HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealPlayer Download Plugin
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 220.127.116.115
- Garmin Communicator Plug-In 18.104.22.168
- DivX Plus Web Player version 22.214.171.124
- Google Updater pluginhttp://pack.google.com/
- DivX VOD Helper Plug-in
- Garmin Communicator Plug-In 126.96.36.199
- Abacast Netscape Plugin
- Rhapsody Player Engine Plugin
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:15.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/15.0.1
I have gone through all the "Tools" menu options, and I have checked with the information in the "Help" data base. Nothing seems to be available as a solution to the problem.
There are several possible reasons why the new window opens in the background and not in the foreground by default.
- another installed program is causing this
- the Firefox main window is set to Always on Top
- probably a Windows 7 bug
- possibly a Firefox bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=790013
What you can do is
- update your Windows 7 to the latest security patches
- open Mozilla Firefox in Safe Mode (see KB article Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode)
- evaluate the other programs installed on your computer
- open new links on a new tab
Let us know your progress. I will be following this support thread.
Modified by JeanAustinR
Go to Tools>Options>Tabs When I open a new link switch to it immediately>>checking this brings new tabbed page to front automatically
I have had the correct Tools/Options boxes checked from the very beginning, but it makes absolutely no difference. The issue began happening after a prior Firefox update, probably almost two years ago by now, so I don't remember which one.