tabs are slow/unable to load a new url
When I click a link, a new tab opens, but won't load the web page until I reload the tab.
This doesn't usually happen if I go to a recently visited site, but mainly on sites that I haven't visited in several hours.
My PC stays on between attempts and I keep FF open; rebooting doesn't help either.
This has been occurring since my last 2-3 FF updates.
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.4 r402
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.9.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Google Update
- Foxit Reader Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- Version 126.96.36.199
- DivX Web Player version 188.8.131.52
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- Npdsplay dll
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:16.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/16.0
I've updated my addons and deleted several.
Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance).
- Do not click the Reset button on the Safe mode start window or otherwise make changes.
Nope--the problem's still there, even in safe mode.
Do you have any cleanup or security software that might have corrupted the Firefox disk cache?
You can try to clear the cache.
Cleared the cache again (emptied it 2 days ago, too....no improvement, no change.
You can create a new profile as a test to check if your current profile is causing the problems.
See "Creating a profile":
If the new profile works then you can transfer some files from the old profile to that new profile, but be careful not to copy corrupted files.
You can also try to reset Firefox:
I'm thinking this started because of a snafu when FF updated---is there a way to reinstall FF to go back to FF8 or so without losing my settings, etc? The problem appeared around about the time I went to FF9 or 10 or so. Reinstalling 16.0.2 didn't help.
Modified by etim