This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
can't type in the browser address bar
everytime i upgrade firefox now i lose a bit more functionality... before when i opened a new tab i had to click the google homepage button in order to type in the browser address bar.. now i upgraded again and can't type in the google bar or the address bar at all.. the only reason i got to this page with firefox is because it was my homepage.. i hate to not use firefox as i love it.. but chrome is starting to look better. :(
All Replies (5)
Try to reset your browser [https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-preferences-fix-problems?esab=...] or get into safe mode and find out what makes the issue [https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-firefox-issues-using-sa...]
Safe mode just replicates the problem.
I've deleted "localstore.rdf" from my profile (put it back once I realised it had no effect).
I've disabled and removed add-ons.
Still no effect.
I'm even having to type this in a text editor and cut and paste it into the window on the forum.
Try to remove the Firefox plist file (org.mozilla.firefox.plist).
- http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20060606082246983 How .plist files become corrupt and troubleshooting the results
Go to "~/Library/Preferences" and remove the plist file for Firefox (org.mozilla.firefox.plist)
Create a new profile as a test to check if your current profile is causing the problems.
See "Creating a profile":
If the new profile works then you can transfer some files from an existing profile to the new profile, but be careful not to copy corrupted files.
Thanks for this.
Only problem I have no "org.mozilla.firefox.plist" file that I can find (I can find a whole bunch of others relating to other software), nothing for Firefox.
Add to my whoes the fact I even tried re-setting my Firefox installation.
All that gave me was a much worse version of Firefox without all my add-ons and the same bloody problem with it still not recognising any keyboard input.
Also add the fact it's taken half a day to re-build Firefox to the point I had it before from various backups (thank the gods for FEBE).
so i now have a re-constituted version of Firefox (still re-building Speedial) with the same problem.
I solved the same problem with IE (yea I have almost browsers on my machine as I am a developer), by re-installing Java.
Hey ho, onwards we go.
Also, please update to Firefox 18.