X
Tap here to go to the mobile version of the site.

Support Forum

Opening https://www.tumblr.com/ gives me the following error : Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long on Mac.

Posted

I get the following error:

An error occurred during a connection to www.tumblr.com.

SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.

(Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)

I am using Mac OS X 10.8.2 (OS X Mountain Lion)

None of the other browsers have any problems opening this website.

I am a novice user and I really love firefox, but can't use it since it won't open one of my favorite websites.

I get the following error: An error occurred during a connection to www.tumblr.com. SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length. (Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long) I am using Mac OS X 10.8.2 (OS X Mountain Lion) None of the other browsers have any problems opening this website. I am a novice user and I really love firefox, but can't use it since it won't open one of my favorite websites.

Additional System Details

Sites Affected

https://www.tumblr.com/

Installed Plug-ins

  • Shockwave Flash 11.4 r402
  • Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.6.8
  • Displays Java applet content, or a placeholder if Java is not installed.
  • The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
  • DivX Plus Web Player version 2.2.1.2
  • Adobe® Acrobat® Plug-in for Web Browsers, Version 10.1.4
  • DivX VOD Helper Plug-in
  • Microsoft Office for Mac SharePoint Browser Plug-in

Application

  • User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.8; rv:16.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/16.0

More Information

-The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
-Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem. Alternatively, use the command found in the help menu to report this broken site.

cor-el
  • Top 10 Contributor
  • Moderator
12138 solutions 112754 answers

Try to rename the cert8.db file in the Firefox profile folder to cert8.db.old or delete the cert8.db file to remove intermediate certificates that Firefox has stored.

If that helped to solve the problem then you can remove the renamed cert8.db.old file. Otherwise you can rename (or copy) the cert8.db.old file to cert8.db to restore the previous intermediate certificates. Firefox will automatically store intermediate certificates when you visit websites that send such a certificate.

If that didn't help then remove or rename secmod.db (secmod.db.old) as well.

You can use this button to go to the Firefox profile folder:

Try to rename the cert8.db file in the Firefox profile folder to cert8.db.old or delete the cert8.db file to remove intermediate certificates that Firefox has stored. If that helped to solve the problem then you can remove the renamed cert8.db.old file. Otherwise you can rename (or copy) the cert8.db.old file to cert8.db to restore the previous intermediate certificates. Firefox will automatically store intermediate certificates when you visit websites that send such a certificate. If that didn't help then remove or rename secmod.db (secmod.db.old) as well. You can use this button to go to the Firefox profile folder: *Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory: Show Folder *http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox

Question owner

Thank you for your prompt response.

However the above mentioned solution did not resolve my issue.

I am still facing the above problem.

Thank you for your prompt response. However the above mentioned solution did not resolve my issue. I am still facing the above problem.
amirhhp 0 solutions 2 answers

I removed cert8.db and secmod.db but my problem didn't solve.

I removed cert8.db and secmod.db but my problem didn't solve.
cor-el
  • Top 10 Contributor
  • Moderator
12138 solutions 112754 answers

Create a new profile as a test to check if your current profile is causing the problems.

See "Creating a profile":

If the new profile works then you can transfer some files from the old profile to that new profile, but be careful not to copy corrupted files.

You can also try to reset Firefox:

Create a new profile as a test to check if your current profile is causing the problems. See "Creating a profile": *https://support.mozilla.org/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles *http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_-_Firefox#Profile_issues If the new profile works then you can transfer some files from the old profile to that new profile, but be careful not to copy corrupted files. *http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_data_to_a_new_profile_-_Firefox You can also try to reset Firefox: *https://support.mozilla.org/kb/Basic+Troubleshooting
LeniA 0 solutions 1 answers

I'm running windows vista and have the same issue. none of your solutions work!

I'm running windows vista and have the same issue. none of your solutions work!