Firefox does not work with windows 8
I just bought a new computer that came with Windoze 8. I hate it. Firefox works occasionally.
It is pinned to the taskbar, but I cannot get it to start. I click on it and nothing happens.
When I go to Start and click on Firefox, it does not staty. IE and other programs start, but not Firefox. Is Microsoft blocking it? I am trying to run a business and I have to use Firefox on a Windows machine. Any suggestions?
Additional System Details
A few times a week
This started when...
- Shockwave Flash 11.4 r402
- The Flip4Mac WMV Plugin allows you to view Windows Media content using QuickTime.
- Microsoft Office for Mac SharePoint Browser Plug-in
- Displays Java applet content, or a placeholder if Java is not installed.
- Plugin that detects installed Citrix Online products (visit www.citrixonline.com).
- WebEx64 General Plugin Container Version 203
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- LogMeIn remote control components
- DYMO Label NPAPI Plug-in
- AmazonMP3DownloaderPlugin 1.0.16
- DivX Plus Web Player version 22.214.171.124
- DivX VOD Helper Plug-in
- RealPlayer Plugin
- Coupons Inc., Coupon Printing FireFox Plugin
- The Google Earth Plugin allows you to view 3D imagery and terrain in your web browser.
- npmnqmp 071503000004
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:14.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/14.0.1
Windows 8 hasn't been released yet, so I doubt you have it on your brand new computer, it's most likely Windows 7.
Have you tried reinstalling Firefox? Re-download it from www.getfirefox.com and reinstall. Also, can you open it from another location (not the taskbar, but the start menu for example?)
Installed Windows 8 a couple of weeks ago and can't get Firefox to work with the OS. Problems rendering pages etc.
doesn't work for me either. have to use Chrome or IE until they get a working browser for Windows 8
I definitely have Windows 8 and the latest version of Firefox, and I have the same problem. When I click Firefox in the Quick Launch Toolbar or the new start screen, it will initiate the program but it will not maximize the window so that I can use it. However, when I turn my second monitor on, the window will come up on my primary screen. Neither Chrome nor IE seem to have this issue.
You can check for problems with the localstore.rdf file and try to delete or rename this file.
You can use this button to go to the Firefox profile folder:
- Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory: Show Folder
my Firefox started crashing 2, 3, and more times a day already months ago when I was working with Windows 7 Home and Student edition. After I upgraded to Windows8 Pro, using the simple updater program, my Firefox didn't even start anymore, that is: it started one time just after installing, but then it stopped almost immediately, with the known pop up to tell Mozilla what happened and when. After that one initial start, clicking Firefox didn't do anything anymore. Only after complete uninstall and new fresh install it started again 1 time, with immediate stop...etc, etc. So I had to switch to Chrome. Not too bad, because they have some functionality Fox doesn't have but, even so: I prefer to work with Firefox, not in the least place because of some extensions. So, I kept thinking... and one moment I remembered that I once tried out for a short period "PaleMoon" a stripped down version of Firefox and....it worked. So, my question why is Pale Moon, a custom-built and optimized Firefox-based browser, working and the master himself not? Just wondering. Willem Rabbeljee
Similar problem. Installed Windows 8 Pro 64-bit. Firefox kind of worked for a while. Then I installed the Elm build to test out Windows 8 native integration, but it didn't really work well. Uninstalled Elm.
Now Firefox would start up but then would stop responding and never come out of the coma.
Uninstalled Firefox and used Chrome for a while. Decided to return to Firefox and downloaded the new Firefox 17, same problem. Firefox would launch then stop responding and go into a coma.