My Firefox has been "taken over" by a "Search Here" search engine, I cannot find a file to remove from Add/Remove programs. Looking for help to get rid of this
I've tried unsuccessfully to Remove this program from my files but there is nothing that indicates it's associated with the "Search Here" spyware. It seems to have taken over my Firefox on tabs other than the one when I first open it. Very frustrating, I was hoping for some advanced help other than the usual suggestions. Or, you might know other names it uses in the Add/Remove section. Thanks.
Additional System Details
- Google Update
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- MindSpark Toolbar Platform Plugin Stub for 32-bit Windows
- Google Updater pluginhttp://pack.google.com/
- Logitech Device Detection
- Shockwave Flash 10.3 r181
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.0.0
- BlackBerry WebSL Browser Plug-In
- ActiveTouch General Plugin Container Version 103
- CANON iMAGE GATEWAY Mycamera Plugin
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:16.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/16.0
If it is malware and well hidden it may show up if you scan with multiple and up-to-date malware detection tools.
- for typical advice see /questions/914980#answer-302372
It is certainly worth setting up a clean Firefox Profile, and ensuring that has no plugins or add-ons. I would recommend if you create a new profile
- see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager#Creating_a_new_profile
and Use the Profile Manager to create and remove Firefox profiles
- only create any new profile in an empty folder
- do not delete or rename any profile you create
(Until you are absolutely certain what you are doing. Instead delete shortcuts or icons not profiles)
- once created use the new profile and check with tools -> add-ons that it does not have any extensions or plugins installed and enabled.
Any idea what this installed with, and what sites does it go to, any other clues you can offer as to what it is that was installed ?
Others with a search here problem have mentioned Yahoo toolbars and something called default tab.
Note that once any rogue software is removed you may need to reset some of Firefox's preferences, there is an add-on that may help with that.
Modified by John99
Could be an item installed on your system called "Default Tab". See if it is installed in Windows Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs; if so remove it. Perform removal with all browsers closed.
Modified by TheOldFox
It's got my computer, too. It rode in with Belarc Advisor. I'll try the suggestions above. This is one annoying little bugger. It doesn't show up in Windows uninstall. Tabs open with this thing & there's a permenant tab (but it's not a tab, it shows up to the right of the tabs) that won't go away. DON'T DOWNLOAD BELARC ADVISOR. It will also install Whitesmoke on your computer.
Look carefully at plugins and installed programs as shown in the control panel or the msconfig listing. Possibly use Windows Safe Mode starting wit network support by using the F8 key on startup
Once you identify the rogue program uninstall it.
If you continue to have problems please start a new thread by asking your own question using /questions/new. (Post back once you have done so, then anyone interested may find your thread)
Modified by John99
Got email from Belarc Advisor. Apparently Search Here & Whitesmoke DID NOT come from their website. It appeared on my computer during the download but must have come in from somewhere else -- I had several windows open & was getting a new computer up & running. I've used Belarc Advisor for years & loved it -- logical conclusion that it came from them because of when it happened, but retract my comments about them. Wherever it came from, I found Search Here in the Windows Uninstall in 2 places, uninstalled, & it was gone. Sorry, Belarc Advisor. Not your fault.
Can you post the list of the installed extensions as listed on Help > Troubleshooting Information ?