Settings for update preferences gone after update to firefox 16?
After yet more problems with vital plugins after firefox updated itself to 16 I decided to turn off auto update. I no longer see the settings under Preferences > Advanced > Update. The only thing there is the "Auto Update" section, and it only has one item, "Search Engines".
I know this has been debated to death and my opinion is on the losing side, but I really don't like the frequent auto updating at all. Please help me turn off the auto update. I still update often, but don't want it to happen on its own when I am trying to start work for the day, especially when plugins that have not had a chance to keep up stop working.
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202
- The IcedTea-Web Plugin executes Java applets.
- Version 1.1.12 The Luggage, copyright 1996-2007 The VideoLAN Teamhttp://www.videolan.org/
- Gecko Media Player 1.0.4Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media Player streams using MPlayer
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:16.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/16.0
Linux, Firefox 16.0 after update a few minutes ago.
hello hankgurdjieff, i think firefox updates are entirely handled by the package-management system of ubuntu, therefore those settings are not available in the firefox preferences...
If you want to have full control over updating Firefox then you need to install the official Firefox release from the Mozilla server.
You can find the latest Firefox release in all languages and for all Operating Systems here: