Running firefox 3.6.24 under Fedora core 14 64 bit. Cannot load certain pages from schoolfusion website with firefox or google chrome. I get server not found error. On the same machine a XP virtual with IE or chrome can access the website.I've checked wireshark output and the DNS query is there along with a good response to the query i.e. the dns returns the correct ip address. So I don't understand why the server error. On the same web site a link that does work starts with 2 identical DNS queries both get identical responses. It must be some network setting under linux only? I have a direct internet connect no proxy. I've tried all of the suggestions under server error already.
- All posts
- Helpful Solutions
Is there a reason you are using such an old and outdated version of Firefox? Update to Firefox 16.0.1 and test again.
Yes I am unable to update to a newer version of linux for the time being and I haven't had the time to install a custom version of firefox.
However, I do have a Fedora 16 virtual which has firefox 7.0.1 and it has the exact same problem. Also note I have the latest version of chrome and under the linux it fails but it works in the XP virtual?
So it really seems to be the way the network is accessed under XP that's the difference but I don't even know where to start looking. That's why I tried wireshark to see if something jumped out at me but I'm not a network expert and the only weird thing was that the DNS query was returning the correct ip address so I'm not sure why there server not found error?
On Linux the default is to use the system proxy to access the internet (pref network.proxy.type is 5).
Can you access the site(s) via their IP or is that failing as well?
You can try a different DNS server or try to reset (power off/on) the router if you use one.
You can also check the firewall settings.
First I have no proxy set whatsoever and if I did wouldn't the XP virtual be going through that same proxy or does the virtual network hardware get more direct access to the real network hardware? Also I checked the virtuals(XP and Fedora 16) both have the same DNS settings as my host.
My firewall is currently completely disabled.
Replacing the first part of the url with the ip address results in an error from the school's web service saying the url is incorrect.
I have not tried powering on/off or rebooting the router yet but since the XP virtual is definitely going through the exact same router I don't see how this could make a difference.
I had already found the url you mention and tried everything they suggested before I submitted.
This is "fixed" now it turned out that the problem was that the urls that wouldn't work had -. that is a dash followed by a period.
What I still do NOT understand is why the error message was not clearer. It reported that it couldn't find the server but it reported the whole string including the -. so there was no hint as to why it could not find the server. Also it was odd that IE and google chrome under XP both worked.