Yahoo has taken over my search and I want Google back as default search
I have deleted Yahoo and it comes right back. How do I remove it permanently????
Additional System Details
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_35 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Shockwave Flash 11.4 r402
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.5.2"
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:10.0.2) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0.2
Where do you see Yahoo as the search engine?
Is that with searching via the location bar or the search bar on the Navigation Toolbar ?
Try to reset some preferences to the default with the SearchReset extension:
Note that the SearchReset extension only runs once and then uninstalls automatically, so it won't show on the "Firefox > Add-ons" page (about:addons).
If you do not keep changes after a restart then see:
If there is a problem with searching via the default about:home page then try to reset the search engine used on the about:home page.
Reset the browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone pref via the right-click context menu to the default on the about:config page and close and restart Firefox to restore the about:home page to its default.
- Open the about:config page via the location bar
- Type in the Filter bar: mstone
- Right-click the browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone line and select: Reset
- Close and restart Firefox
If this didn't help then delete the delete the chromeappsstore.sqlite file in the Firefox Profile Folder and repeat the above.
I had to remove the anti-phising software Domain Adviser to stop navigation bar search from redirecting to Yahoo search.
about:config and downloading DEVONtechnologies EasyFind to destroy the hidden Yahoo files in the Library on a Mac no longer works. I suspect Yahoo has found a way to undermine those fixes. It is infuriating to find that a responsible operator such as Yahoo needs to stoop to this to find users to its dying web browser. Are there any other suggestions? Many thanks