i have downloaded an updated version of firefox on my linux system and the file only appears as a read only file in archives, what do i do?
I was told that I needed to update my firefox web browser and was directed to the Morzilla website and the new firefox downloaded. However the file downloaded into archives as a read only file and when i open it it only comes up with image and text information. How do i download the file so it can be used and as a web browser?
Additional System Details
Not sure how often
This started when...
i downloaded the new firefox update - the old version still works but the new version wont dpwnload as a useable file
- The Totem 2.30.2 plugin handles video and audio streams.
- DivX Web Player version 22.214.171.124
- This plug-in detects the presence of iTunes when opening iTunes Store URLs in a web page with Firefox.
- Shockwave Flash 10.3 r181
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-GB; rv:126.96.36.199) Gecko/20110422 Ubuntu/10.04 (lucid) Firefox/3.6.17
You can download the latest here: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/ Once the .tar.bz2 file is downloaded, or if it is the one already downloaded, you can unzip it and run the file named firefox, which would usually start Firefox. You may have to exit the current Firefox (3.6) before starting the new one.
You can also try to use the Ubuntu Software manager/Update manager to update the Ubuntu Firefox; this may not work if the 10.04 repositories is not being updated anymore.
Make sure that you meet the system requirements for Firefox 15.0.1
You can also look at the ESR version if you can't use Firefox 15.