My OS is Windows Vista and I have used Firefox for several years with hardly no problems but for some months, starting with Firefox 14 (or 13?), it is now very, very slow. I use ADSL connection (broadband) with a speed of 6-8Mbit/s and the response time for Firefox is now around 120ms and receiving speed around 0.6Mbit/s. Sending is normal, though, with about 0.89Mbit/s. I also have Netscape Navigator 9 and Explorer and they are still fast, 7Mbit/s and 0.89Mbit/s (receiving and sending) and a response time of about 15ms. What have I done to solve the problem? This is what I have I tried:
- Searched for virus and trojans - Safe mode. - No add-ons. - No plugins. - No bookmarks. - Cleared cache and history. - Updated add-ons and plugins. - Shut down anti-virus and firewall. - Reinstalled with the Firefox button in the help menu. - Made a complete reinstallation after removing all profile files etc. - Changed the DNS servers. - Tried about:config and changed values
Yesterday I installed the Comodo IceDragon, that is almost identical to Firefox 15, and suddenly the speed was 7/0.89Mbit/s but, alas, only once for the Dragon and once for the Firefox. Then back to the normal 0.6/0.89Mbit/s. Is there anything more that I can do? Pleas bear in mind that both Netscape and Explorer are working perfectly and I do not receive any error messages.
Thanks in advance!
Lars Ahlberg Sweden
- All posts
- Helpful Solutions
Poor performance in Flash-based speed tests can be related to add-on conflicts and certain Flash features. If you have not already tried these:
(1) Disable protected mode (Win Vista and Win 7 only)
See this support article from Adobe under the heading "Last Resort": Adobe Forums: How do I troubleshoot Flash Player's protected mode for Firefox?
(2) Disable hardware graphics acceleration in Firefox and in Flash
(A) In Firefox, un-check the box here and restart:
orange Firefox button or classic Tools menu > Options > Advanced > General > "Use hardware acceleration when available"
(B) In Flash, see this support article from Adobe: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/video-playback-issues.html#main_Solve_video_playback_issues
(3) For video issues, make sure your RealNetworks add-ons are the latest versions
Thanks for the reply!
I tried (2) and unchecked the box but it did not help much, at times the reciving speed increased to about 1.2Mbit/s. BTW Netscape 9 is working perfectly with the same Flash version. Should not any problems with Flash also affect Netscape?
As for (1), I did find the file mms.cfg but please pardon my ignorance: How do I add the line "ProtectedMode=0" to it?
I also used diaxdiag to check the drivers but no troubles were detected.
Which security software (firewall, anti-virus) do you have?
Try to boot the computer in Windows Safe mode with network support (press F8 on the boot screen) as a test to see if that works.
Thank you cor-el but I did not have to try your suggestion.
Suggestion (1) by jscher2000 solved the problem completely - I think. I located the file mms.cfg in C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash and copied it to the desktop. Open it with WordPad, added the line ProtectedMode=0 and saved it. Renamed the original file mms.cfgBAK (just in case I would need it later) and moved the new file to the same folder. Restarted Firefox and tested it several times - 7Mbit/s! Yezzzzzz!!!
- IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: We’re going through some system changes, that may have slowed responses to your questions. If you had asked a question in the last couple of months, please re-post it and the community will help you as soon as we can. If you’ve registered after February 7th, please register again, the accounts on the previous site were not migrated to this temporary site. If you joined us before February 7, please reset your password if you have trouble logging into this temporary site.