How can I clear cache yet keep the thumbnails in NewTab?
The earlier thread, and the on-line help, imply that Use Custom Settings for History lets you specify what gets kept, and what gets cleared, in the Clear History when Firefox Closes settings box. But I cannot use this combination to clear the cache, without it also clearing the thumbnails I have carefully set up in NewTabs. Am I asking too much?
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.4 r402
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.7.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.4
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- Npdsplay dll
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:15.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/15.0.1
Unfortunately the thumbnails get deleted when you clear the cache, see:
Thanks. Hope that the Firefox documentation team can update the Help page soon - it is misleading because the Customisable options on what will and will not be cleared are now being overridden. Or maybe somebody is working on a software fix for the code itself. If not, it will become a permanent problem now that NewTab thumbnails are available. I do like the thumbnails but if I had to choose I would go back to being able to clear cache every time and retain all the other History settings (passwords, forms and so on) intact.
You will have to wait for Firefox 16 (currently in beta) to get a thumbnails folder for storing them.
- bug 744388 - [Page Thumbnails] implement a custom storage, don't use the file cache