I downloaded a freeware utility from Softonic and it installed Savings-Slider. I searched the web and found only one site that has a solution, but you have to buy a subscription to get the solution. Anyone know how to remove it?
- All posts
- Helpful Solutions
The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information. Note: This will cause you to lose any Extensions, Open websites, and some Preferences.
To Reset Firefox do the following:
- Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
- Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
- Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
- Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.
Further information can be found in the Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings article.
Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!
"I went through all the Firefox options, but it's not listed in add-ons, etc. Also tried Add/Remove programs, not there, ran Revo Uninstaller, not listed there either."
That garbage may be built into that utility program that you got from Softronics. Have you tried uninstalling it?
Or it mat be in Firefox or "Installed Programs" under a different name. Try getting rid of anything that you don't recognize or can't remember purposely installing.
If that crap is installed in Firefox, give this a shot.
Do you have that problem when running in the Firefox SafeMode?
Don't select anything right now, just use "Continue in SafeMode."
Try a malware check with some malware scanning programs on the Windows computer.
You need to scan with all programs because each program detects different malware.
Make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of their databases before doing a scan.
- http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- http://www.superantispyware.com/ - SuperAntispyware
- http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx - Microsoft Safety Scanner
- http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx - Windows Defender: Home Page
- http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html - Spybot Search & Destroy
You can also do a check for a rootkit infection with TDSSKiller.
- "Spyware on Windows": http://kb.mozillazine.org/Popups_not_blocked
Thank you for the help. I ended up uninstalling Firefox with the older 4.0XXX version. I tried the latest 15.0XXX version, but they took away the "tabs on top" option. Jeese, can you say Microsoft? lol
You shouldn't run Firefox 4, it is very very insecure now and not supported. Tabs on top isn't gone, just moved. How to make the new Firefox look like the old Firefox
Update to firefox 15, use the above article to change your tabs, and then you'll be both secure and faster
Okay, thanks. I was thinking that the firefox update process would bring me up to the current version. So I went and downloaded 15.XXX again, ran it, and it upgraded instead of a new install. It kept the version 4 look and I can still right click on the toolbar and select tabs on top. So, all is well now, I'm back to where I was. Thanks again.
Current Firefox versions only show the "Tabs on Top" menu entry if the tabs aren't in the default position on top.
If the tabs are on top and the menu entry isn't available and you want to move the tabs below the navigation toolbar then you need to flip the browser.tabs.onTop pref to false on the about:config page.