I have Firefox 14.0.1 and all of a sudden I am not able to load Google web page and also not able to load the google calender. I saw somewhere that I if I deleted my cookies it would clear up the problem, it didn't help at all, then I saw that if I reset network.http.spdy.enabled to false that would fix the problem it didn't work either.
Anyone know how to fix this problem, I use this calender a lot and prefer Google search I have Windows XP
. thanks SandyLea
- All posts
- Helpful Solutions
Did you notice any network.http prefs that don't have the default value and show up as bold (user set)?
Clear the cache and the cookies from sites that cause problems.
"Clear the Cache":
- Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Cached Web Content: "Clear Now"
"Remove Cookies" from sites causing problems:
- Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies: "Show Cookies"
Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance/Themes).
- Don't make any changes on the Safe mode start window.
I tried the above, and still can't load Google or Google Calender. Now I see it won't open in IE either ?? I GOOGLE down maybe?
We seem to have the same problem: For the past few days, I have not been able to get google.com, my calendar, my reader and other parts of google. I can access everything on my phone, but not my computer. I can also access google using another PC, just not this one. I can access my gmail account on the pc. This is the same problem in Firefox and Internet Explorer. At first the server from google seemed not to accept the connection. It seemed like I was trying to access the search using https or something. Now i just get 404 errors for whatever google sites are blocked. I have reinstalled my Operating System, (Windows 7,) twice, thinking something may have been wrong, and done various virus and spyware searches.
Hi VBee, it does sound suspicious. Which malware scanners have you run? These two tools are highly regarded if you haven't tried them already:
Malwarebytes Anti-malware : http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free
SUPERAntiSpyware : http://www.superantispyware.com/
Could you check your proxy setting here:
orange Firefox button or classic Tools menu > Options > Advanced
On the "Network" mini-tab, click the "Settings" button and choose No Proxy.
Do you know whether you are using your ISPs default DNS servers or your own choice of servers? This can be set either in your network connection in Windows, or in your network router (e.g., wired or wireless router). Although rare, it's possible for your DNS to get switched by malware in Windows; less likely on your router. It's also possible for individual DNS servers to become corrupted or flaky.
If you want to try some alternate DNS servers, you could try:
- Google Public DNS https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/
Thank you jscher2000 for your help. So far I have changed the settings in Firefox to no proxy. I used Norton to scan for viruses, spyware, and used Windows Malicious Software Removal tool. Nothing is being found. I still have the problem accessing Google.
I just changed my settings to use the Google Public DNS for the TCP/IPv4. I can now access the Google sites that I couldn't access before.
I lost access again. It only worked briefly.
Hi VBee, have you tried to fall in love with Bing? But seriously, I wonder if there's any possibility that your ISP or Google is blocking you on their end?
Does Norton filter out or alter anything that web sites usually expect (e.g., cookies, referrer) or block anything that browsers might need?
Did you try the other two scanners yet?
Finally mine Google Calendar and Google are working with Firefox again! I am , not sure what worked but something along the way did I did a anti rootkit scan with AVG and it found one mysterious object I deleted that rebooted and then went to cookies and put in Google name, and deleted all cookies with Google name, then rebooted and now I am able to use calendar and Google works too.
Thanks to everyone for your help
Sandylea, congratulations for getting back in to Google. For some reason, my access came back too. Hopefully everything continues to work.
JSherr2000, thanks for your help.
VBee congratulations to you too! So glad we have it back! SandyLea
Something to try when all else fails to load Google in XP:
disable your network cards in the device manager
Open up command prompt (start -> run ->) and enter the following commands in this order:
enable your network cards in the Device Manager
Open up command prompt(start>run>
This worked for me after weeks of trying to identify the cause. I don't know why it works but now I am able to access Google with no problems
I am running Firefox 18 and ran into the same issue with Google calendar. The advice to start Firefox in Safe Mode was helpful for me. The calendar worked with all plugins and extensions disabled, but it took a while to figure out which one it was. To do that I disabled them one at a time, restarted Firefox, and tried the calendar for each one. For me it turned out to be a StartNow Tool Bar extension (v 2.5.0), which I don't even know how I acquired in the first place. With that removed, Google calendar runs fine. Thanks.
Mine is working now too! Thanks for sharing your solution!
- IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: We’re going through some system changes, that may have slowed responses to your questions. If you had asked a question in the last couple of months, please re-post it and the community will help you as soon as we can. If you’ve registered after February 7th, please register again, the accounts on the previous site were not migrated to this temporary site. If you joined us before February 7, please reset your password if you have trouble logging into this temporary site.