get rid of SearchYa
how to get rid of searchYa as my browser
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:13.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/13.0
SearchYa may have "piggy-backed" onto your system when you installed some third-party software on your system; always look for an opportunity to not install extra items or look for a custom install option when installing software or software updates.
- Remove SearchYa Toolbar (if you have it installed):
- Reset your home page (if the SearchYa search page is displayed when starting Firefox):
- You can reset to the default by clicking "Restore to default" on Options > General > Startup > Home page. Be sure to set "When Firefox starts" to "Show my home page" on that same panel.
- See --> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/startup-home-page-download-settings (see Startup section)
- Reset your Location Bar search engine (if typing a few words in the URL/Location Bar takes you to SearchYa search):
- type about:config in your Location Bar, like typing a web site address, and press the Enter key
- ignore warning and choose to continue
- in Filter, type keyword.URL
- in lower part of screen, if it is bold and shows "user set", right-click keyword.URL and choose "Reset"
- in Filter, type SearchYa
- any items in lower part of screen in bold and showing "user set", right-click and choose "Reset"
- close about:config tab
- If SearchYa is shown in your Search Bar and you want to remove it:
If this reply solves your problem, please click "Solved It" next to this reply when signed-in to the forum.
Modified by SafeBrowser
I had the same problem. Everytime I opened a new tab it got SearchYa as search engine. The about:config solution did not help; it has reseted as soon as I closed about:config tab.
Finally I got rid of it by selecting: Firefox -> "Help" then "Troubleshooting Information" then click on "Reset Firefox" button. Firefox closes and resets. When it starts again all the features are reseted and the problem solved. It had kept all my bookmark and toolbar settings.
Thank you very much!