ask browser keeps coming back how do I permanently remove it
problem arose after installing security update - I have tried removing ask engine from all lists and have reset all bold entries in about:config ask still comes back very irritatin any solutions welcome
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.3
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_31 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- RealNetworks(tm) RealPlayer Chrome Background Extension Plug-In
- RealPlayer(tm) HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- Npdsplay dll
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:12.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/12.0
1. Remove Ask Toolbar (if you have it installed):
2. Reset your home page (if the Ask search page is displayed when starting Firefox): http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/How+to+set+the+home+page
- You can reset to the default by clicking "Restore to default" on Options > General > Startup > Home page. Be sure to set "When Firefox starts" to "Show my home page" on that same panel.
3. Reset your Location Bar search engine (if typing a few words in the URL/Location Bar takes you to Ask search):
- type about:config in your Location Bar, like typing a web site address, and press the Enter key
- ignore warning and choose to continue
- in Filter, type keyword.URL
- in lower part of screen, if it is bold and shows "user set", right-click keyword.URL and choose "Reset"
- in Filter, type Ask
- any items in lower part of screen in bold and showing "user set", right-click and choose "Reset"
- close about:config tab
If Ask is shown in your Search Bar and you want to remove it: https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Search%20bar
If you get Ask.com on the default about:home Home page then you can reset that search engine.
Reset the browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone pref via the right-click context menu to the default on the about:config page and close and restart Firefox to restore the about:home page to its default.
- Open the about:config page via the location bar
- Type in the Filter bar: mstone
- Right-click the browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone line and select: Reset
- Close and restart Firefox
If that didn't help then delete the delete the chromeappsstore.sqlite file in the Firefox Profile Folder and repeat the above.
thanks cor-el ... for only solution posted that worked