About a month ago I started getting this anoying white popup ad in the lower right of my firefox browser window. It doesn't show on all sites, but most. It has contextural ads based on the site I'm on. It hovers over the content behind. It has a small "x" to close but that just minimizes it as leaves a box "recommended..."
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
A month ago
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Wacom Dynamic Link Library
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:11.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/11.0
-Doesn't happen for the same sites on other machines or borwsers.
-Tried re-installing FF
-Ran Malware bytes
-Ran CC leaner
-Scanned with MS Security essentials
Install Adblock Plus addon with Easylist Subscription and Let us know how it goes
This doesn't seem to be a typical pop-up ad. They don't appear on other computers in other browsers. Adaware isn't the solution.
Do a malware check with some malware scanning programs on the Windows computer.
You need to scan with all programs because each program detects different malware.
Make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of their databases before doing a scan.
- http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- http://www.superantispyware.com/ - SuperAntispyware
- http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx - Microsoft Safety Scanner
- http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx - Windows Defender: Home Page
- http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html - Spybot Search & Destroy
You can also do a check for a rootkit infection with TDSSKiller.
- "Spyware on Windows": http://kb.mozillazine.org/Popups_not_blocked
Create a new profile as a test to check if your current profile is causing the problems.
See "Basic Troubleshooting: Make a new profile":
There may be extensions and plugins installed by default in a new profile, so check that in "Tools > Add-ons > Extensions & Plugins" in case there are still problems.
If that new profile works then you can transfer some files from the old profile to that new profile, but be careful not to copy corrupted files.
Still there. Anyone have any new ideas. I also came across a post with that sounds like the same issue over at adblock support:
I managed to solve this by downloading ZoneAlarm free removed the tool bar that comes with it and in the firewall advance settings then view zones add the following www.hnjorg.com and block. Make sure you clean history, remove all cookies check the cookie folder manual also use ccleaner. The hnjorg.com is the proxy for this trojan in Russia. Its taken me 4 weeks to solve this tried every trojan software nothing worked.
You can also use firefox- privacy - tools - options history - use custom settings - exceptions - add- save. But if you hit a site that has the torjan cookie its over writes and removes from firefox
This works for images on websites than turn to adverts and you can test before and after on my eCommerce http://www.itsybaby.com the baby prams on the new products will turn to adverts if you have the full Torjan then recheck after you completed the ZoneAlarm install and block.
Modified by Durie