change search engine
Some kind of (virus?) has attached to my Firefox and keeps changing my default search engine to Yahoo. I've run several antivirus programs to no avail. Frustrated, I tried to uninstall Firefox... but nothing happens when I click uninstall in Control Panel. Any ideas?
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- RealNetworks(tm) RealPlayer Chrome Background Extension Plug-In
- RealPlayer(tm) HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.3.0 for Mozilla browsers
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 188.8.131.524
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.2
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Office Live Update v1.5
- Motive Plugin for Mozilla Browsers
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:11.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/11.0
You should take a look at the Knowledge Base article Use the Search bar in Firefox and manage search engines. Your default search might have been changed by a particular site. Sites like MSN, Yahoo, etc have been know to ask to become your homepage and change your search engine.
If the address bar search has been changed as well, you might want to take a look at Search the web from the address bar.
If that doesn't work you should look at the article How to fix preferences that won't save.
Finally, your issue may be because you've been hit with some Malware.
Hopefully this helps!
Start Firefox in Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance/Themes).
- Don't make any changes on the Safe mode start window.