Firefox will not allow me to close tabs or drag them to a new window.
I can't close individual tabs. I -CAN- close the entire application, but I don't want that. Also, the Close Tab entry is missing from the File menu.
Is there some feature in FF that allows a site to disable turning off separate tabs? Is this an exploit that certain pages are using? Or...is this an actual bug?
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.1 r102
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.5.0"
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_29 for Mozilla browsers
- Google Update
- Yahoo Application State Plugin version 220.127.116.11
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.2; rv:10.0.2) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0.2
Running Farmville on Facebook.
You need to use the keyboard and open the File menu via Alt+F to see a Close Tab menu entry because some menu entries are hidden if you use the mouse.
Can you close a tab vi Ctrl+W?
Start Firefox in Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance/Themes).
- Don't make any changes on the Safe mode start window.
All right, I was able to get the "Close Window" option to appear. However, the window still would not close, or drag to another window. I tried Fine->Close Window, Ctrl-W, and clicking the tab.
The problem seems to begin only after playing Farmville on Facebook, so I assume there is something on that website that interferes with a Firefox function.
Did you try Safe mode to check if an extension is causing that problem?
Yes. I used Safe mode. The problem only occurs when I am using Facebook, apparently; some scripts loaded by Facebook seem to interfere with one or more scripts in "tabbrowser.xml".
Specifically, the error is reported to be in this line:
I can often stop the scripts from Facebook, and then the tabs can still close; but if I stop TabBrowser.xml, tabs will no longer close. Unfortunately, when the FB scripts crash, I usually have little choice but to close the TabBrowser.xml script.
This now happens constantly while I use Firefox on Facebook. It no longer happens unless I am using Facebook, and is apparently unrelated to whether I play Farmville.
Modified by the SASS Man