Unable to remove extensions, uninstall firefox, enable extensions at all on Linux.
During a routine extensions and personas add to firefox, upon reboot the majority of my extensions no longer worked. Unable to enable, disable, or remove the extensions after multiple attempts. I tried running in safe mode and trying to restore firefox back to default settings, but the options wouldn't allow me to when I tried to select them.
I then proceded to go into synaptic package manager to completely remove firefox to do a reinstall. After accomplishing firefox still loaded up with all of my extensions and personas that were supposedly completely removed.
Then I completely removed them in synaptic again. Opened up Nautlis as Root, went into the file system, and deleted any files related to firefox. I finished by doing a reinstall and all of my personas & extensions were there again after I supposedly completely deleted all of them.
I shut down the computer and started back up again after every step. Never have I encountered such difficulties trying to fix any problems such as this with firefox. Any help would be very appreciated, because I am completely baffled. I just want to start over with a clean default state of the latest stable version of firefox.
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
- Shockwave Flash 11.1 r102
- This plugin provides integration with Cinnamon for live extension enabling and disabling. It can be used only by extensions.gnome.org
- This plugin provides integration with Gnome Shell for live extension enabling and disabling. It can be used only by extensions.gnome.org
- OpenOffice.org Plug-in handles all its documents
- The IcedTea-Web Plugin executes Java applets.
- This is the DjView-4.7 version of the DjVu plugin.See DjVuLibre.
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:10.0.2) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0.2
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:10.0.2) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0.2
Open Containing Folder
Global Menu Bar integration
Ubuntu Firefox Modifications
Tungsten Graphics, Inc -- Mesa DRI Mobile IntelÂ® GM45 Express Chipset x86/MMX/SSE2
2.1 Mesa 7.11
Tungsten Graphics, Inc -- Mesa DRI Mobile IntelÂ® GM45 Express Chipset x86/MMX/SSE2 -- 2.1 Mesa 7.11
GPU Accelerated Windows
Linux - Ubuntu 11.10
You can also try a new profile. If it's okay, ou can later try to recover personal data from the previous profile. Please note that usually the personal data, settings, installed personas/themes, installed add-ons etc. are stored separately from the Firefox files.