Windows Media Player will not play embedded in Firefox
I'm puzzled over the sudden inability to play embedded Windows Media Player files in Firefox. Everything was working fine, then suddenly yesterday with no changes made by me and no updates or other changes to the system I am aware of, suddenly it will not play.
I can right click a link and save it, and it will play in the regular Media Player. However, when the content is embedded in a website, it loads the page and just sits there. Won't play.
Windows Vista Home Premium Windows Media Player v. 11.0.6002.18311 Firefox 3.5.5
I went to this page:
And when I type in about:plugins, I cannot see the DRM files. Am I supposed to? I tried using the Windows Media Player Plugin for Firefox (wmpfirefoxplugin) to repair it, but that hasn't helped.
Any advice? Please keep in mind that I am practically retarded when it comes to tech stuff, and working several jobs and in school full time, so I really don't have the ability to spend hours and hours researching this. I need a concise, quick fix. Thanks!
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.0 r1
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.0
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- Coupons, Inc. Coupon Printer Plugin
- Coupons, Inc. Coupon Printer DLL
- Plays Street Technologies / Learn2.com Multimedia Streams - Version 0501.0125
- Hotbar Firefox Plugin
- Default Plug-in
- Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 22.214.171.1249
- CANON iMAGE GATEWAY Album Plugin Utility Module
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- Rhapsody Player Engine Plugin
- Google Update
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:126.96.36.199) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3
Windows Vista Home Premium
Windows Media Player v. 11.0.6002.18311
Why are you using such an old Firefox/3.5.3 version from 2009 (Gecko/20090824) as shown in the user agent and haven't updated Firefox for such a long time?
The Firefox 3.5.3 version that you currently run is no longer supported with security updates.
You should at least use the latest Firefox 3.6.x version if you do not want to switch to Firefox 4+ versions.
Your plugins list in the system details list shows the WMP plugin (np-mswmp), so that plugin should be working.
Do WMP test pages work?
Modified by cor-el
I don't like updating because every time I update things, it seems I spend tons of time needing to figure out conflicts, which I have zero time for. It's just not worth the hassle. Everything usually works, so why fix what isn't broken? The only thing I update constantly is my virus scanner. That updates automatically every day.
I went to the WMP test page. It loads the player, but it does not play.
I prefer not to update Firefox, because this issue has nothing to do with the version of Firefox, since it worked previously all this time. Upgrading would probably just complicate the issue.