Why is firefox sending so many outbound connections, close to 200.
When I first open Firefox, everything slows down and/or stops. When I check my firewall, it occasionally shows as many as 215 outgoing connections, as much as 95% of which are from Firefox. The OS is Win Vista Home Edition. The firewall is Comodo.
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.2
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Shockwave Flash 11.1 r102
- Google Update
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_29 for Mozilla browsers
- Office Live Update v1.5
- Coupons, Inc. Coupon Printer Plugin
- Coupons, Inc. Coupon Printer DLL
- Unity Player 2.5.4b3
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.0
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0.1
Please check if this repeats in Safe Mode. Safe Mode disables the installed extensions and plugins in Tools (Alt + T) > Add-ons.
Please also note that Firefox may open multiple connections per server, so having many tabs open could also be a reason. Firefox may also prefetch content from links in a page while idle.
What is the value of the pref network.http.max-connections on the about:config page?