Firefox update page keeps opening in a new tab every time I open Firefox. How do I stop this?
Every time I open up Firefox, the update checking window opens first, then I get 2 tabs that open. One is my home page, the other is the page that opens after a new version of Firefox is installed. How can I get the Firefox update page to stop opening? I had the same thing happen with the "Download Helper" add-on. The only way I could get it to stop was to disable it. I am running windows 7 and Firefox 9.
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
- Shockwave Flash 11.1 r102
- Version 126.96.36.19958
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.44.14
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Google Update
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_29 for Mozilla browsers
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.1
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- RealNetworks(tm) RealPlayer Chrome Background Extension Plug-In
- RealPlayer(tm) HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- DivX VOD Helper Plug-in
- DivX Web Player version 188.8.131.525
- CANON iMAGE GATEWAY Mycamera Plugin
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0.1
Please check if there are more than one entry in Tools (Alt + T) > Options > General > Home Page:.
Page Info Tools (Alt + T) > Page Info, Right-click > View Page Info
There is not. When I open Firefox, the first thing that happens is a window opens up that says it is checking for add-on compatibility, then the 2 tabs open up. One is my home page, the other is the "Hooray! you have the latest version of Firefox" or something like that.
"Hooray! Your Firefox is up to date."
Please see if there's an updates.xml file in the Firefox installation directory and delete it.
These are the only update references I could find: update.locale LOCALE file updater Application updater Configuration settings
Should I do anything with these?
Please see this.
It's not an issue with Downloadhelper. It's FF.
Please see this
Besides the update tab opening up with my homepage tab every time I open FF, I also cannot save any preference changes. So I followed the instructions for "Corrupt preferences file" and that did not work. I don't know what else to do.
You can try to delete all files starting with pref. in the profile folder. This would reset all preferences to Firefox defaults and delete those of the add-ons. You would have to exit Firefox before trying to delete.
I have already done this. There is only one 'prefs' file.
Please try creating a new profile and check if the problem persists.
Try to delete or rename/move the prefs.js file and other possible prefs-##.js with a number and user.js files in the Firefox Profile Folder.
See these articles for some suggestions:
- https://support.mozilla.org/kb/How+to+set+the+home+page - Firefox supports multiple home pages separated by '|' symbols
I fixed it by creating a new profile. Thanks a bunch!