how do you clear the cache that saves favicons?
I made favicons for my web pages. But I didn't like them and made some better ones, which show up fine on earlier FF version on an XP, and on the Macintosh. But the new FF stubbornly hangs on to my first ones. There must be some kind of cache that needs to be cleared. I tried the normal cache clearing process, but no help. There should be no cache on favicons, just let them come in from the web site you are visiting. They are only 16x16 pixels. Anyway, how do you reset the favicon cache???
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.1 r102
- Google Update
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_29 for Mozilla browsers
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.1
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:8.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/8.0.1
Brand new Dell Inspirion, FF 8.0.1 Tried the Options/Network/Offline Storage/Clear Now. No help.
I misspoke. Yes there should obviously be a cache so that the book marks look good. What I meant was, when you go to a page, the favicon that is offered should automatically overwrite the one being saved in FF bookmarks.
Favicons are saved in the same file where the bookmarks are saved - places.sqlite.
Delete that bookmark and save it again.
I would have thought so, but deleting the bookmark does not help. When I put the bookmark back in, the old favicon comes up. It is stored somewhere else, obviously. This problem would only become apparent to someone trying to generate an icon. See http://www.ehow.com/how_6794524_make-webpage-icon.html
A possible cause is a problem with the file places.sqlite that stores the bookmarks and the history.
- CheckPlaces: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/checkplaces/
- Bookmark Favicon Changer: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/bookmark-favicon-changer/