How do I stop unwanted pop-ups
Hi there, when I use Firefox on my laptop and I am using ebay or other web sites I will see a word or two in green print. When I scroll by the word a pop-up window opens saying " I just won a iPhone or something. I do not get this on my base computer only my laptop that I use with my airport. When I took my laptop to MacMall it did not happen on their site. I purchased ESET CyberSecurty from them. It worked for a while and not it is happing again. How do I stop these pop-ups.
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r102
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Garmin Communicator Plug-in Version 126.96.36.199
- Java Plug-In 2 for NPAPI Browsers
- BrowserPlus -- Improve your browser! -- http://browserplus.yahoo.com/
- Picasa plugin.
- npmnqmp 071503000004
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; rv:7.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/7.0.1
Do a malware check with some malware scan programs. You need to scan with all programs because each program detects different malware. Make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of the database before doing a scan.
- http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- http://www.superantispyware.com/ - SuperAntispyware
- http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx - Windows Defender: Home Page
- http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html - Spybot Search & Destroy
- http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php - Ad-Aware Free
See also "Spyware on Windows": http://kb.mozillazine.org/Popups_not_blocked and Searches are redirected to another site
Those programs are for Windows and won't work on a Mac.