Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More

I have updated to Firefox 8.01, and confirmed that this is the current version. However, both Google and Firefox do not recognize my current verision -- these sites indicate my version is 3.5.7. Why?

  • 3 replies
  • 21 have this problem
  • 13 views
  • Last reply by cor-el

more options

I have updated (more than once) to Firefox Version 8.01. When I check Firefox Help:About, it confirms the version number and indicates that this is the current version. On Google, however, when I try to use G-Mail or +Google, gives me a message that my version of Firefox is no longer supported (and provides a link to download the current version). Additionally, Firefox itself, when I tried to use the Help:Submit Feedback menu option, indicates that I cannot use that option until I have first upgraded to the current version. Apparently, although I have upgraded, there is some marker or indicator that has not been updated from a previous version to indicate to websites which version of this browser is running on my machine. I would like to get this resolved, as it is keeping me from doing a few things I would like to do. By the way, I just looked at the dialog box below, following the comment "we've made some educated guesses about your current browser ..." it, too, indicates that my current version is 3.5.7.

Chosen solution

You have a general.useragent.override pref that identifies you as Firefox/3.5.7

  • Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.7) Gecko/20091221 Firefox/3.5.7 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

See:

Read this answer in context 👍 1

All Replies (3)

more options

Chosen Solution

You have a general.useragent.override pref that identifies you as Firefox/3.5.7

  • Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.7) Gecko/20091221 Firefox/3.5.7 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

See:

more options

Thanks. Problem solved. Took two tries, however. I may not have waited long enough for all the cookies, etc to be cleared. When I restarted, the problem resurfaced, and I had to reset the useragent entries again. Seems to work fine now, though.

more options

You're welcome

Clearing that pref should have worked instantly and this pref doesn't require a restart, others however may.

If the problem returns then see: