I can't update Firefox. It seems stuck on downloading 3.6.4. I have an IMac G5 with OS 10.5.6
I get a message that Firefox can't install an update so will download the entire file. A screen appears with an installation progress bar which never goes away.
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
- Gecko default plugin
- Runs Java applets using the latest installed versions of Java. For more information: Java Embedding Plugin. Run version test: Java Information.
- Netscape plug-in that plays Rhapsody content
- Shockwave Flash 10.0 r45
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:18.104.22.168) Gecko/20100513 Firefox/3.6.4
Or stay with Firefox 3.6.* where 3.6.24 can be found at http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all-older.html
Mac Operating Systems
Mac OS X 10.5 Mac OS X 10.6
Macintosh computer with an Intel x86 processor 512 MB of RAM 200 MB hard drive space
Firefox 3.6.* and earlier used to come with Intel and PPC versions in download, but now as of Firefox 4.0 and newer (including 8.0) the PPC version was replaced with 64-bit version.
Modified by James
If there are problems with updating or with the permissions then easiest is to download the full version and trash the currently installed version to do a clean install of the new version.
Download a new copy of the Firefox program and save the disk image (dmg) file to the desktop.
You can find the latest Firefox release here:
- Firefox 3.6.x: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html
- Trash the current Firefox application to do a clean (re-)install
- Install the new version that you have downloaded
Your profile data is stored elsewhere in the Firefox Profile Folder, so you won't lose your bookmarks and other personal data if you uninstall and (re)install Firefox.