Can't download new version.
A box appeared in the UR corner of my screen, "Firefox 3.6.13 is available, with link to get it. Clicking the link, message is "there were problems checking for/dowloading/installing. . .because FAILED (UNK REASON). I can't get rid of the box. Went to Firefox site and downloaded version 8.0 but when I try to run it the message is "you must shut down Firefox" with an "ok" button. Firefox IS shut down but can't get past this point.
Additional System Details
A few times a week
This started when...
tried to download new version
- Cooliris embedded in a tab
- Default Plug-in
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- DivX Web Player version 22.214.171.124
- Adobe Acrobat Plug-In Version 7.00 for Netscape
- Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- Google Update
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r85
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Picasa plugin
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- Musicnotes Viewer plugin 1.18.11 For more information visit www.musicnotes.com
- Google Updater pluginhttp://pack.google.com/
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- Rhapsody Player Engine Plugin
- Java Plug-in 1.6.0_06 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:126.96.36.199) Gecko/2010031422 Firefox/3.0.8 NET_mmhpset (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Firefox might still be running in the background. Right click in the task bar at the bottom of of Windows (next to the time and date) and select Task Manager. When the Task Manager opens, look at the running processes. If Firefox is still running you can end the process. Then try upgrading to FF 8 again.
There is also a Knowledge Base article called How to fix the Update Failed error message when updating Firefox that has some useful information it.
Hopefully this helps!
Modified by Matt_G
The latest version of FF 3.6 is 3.6.24. You can get it here:
As for the report that Firefox is still running, check in the Task Manager under Processes. You may find Firefox listed there. If that is no use, then see this page: