how to temporarily turn off firewall to allow download of Adobe
Tried to download new Adobe Flash Player. Started to download but stopped asking to turn off my Firefox firewall. Don't know if I should and how to do it.
Additional System Details
Just once or twice
This started when...
I tried to download Adobe new Flash Player
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Google Update
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.1
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Reader Library Helper Plugin
- Office Live Update v1.5
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:8.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/8.0
Firefox is a browser, not a firewall. Follow the instructions below.
There are 2 versions of Adobe Flash:
- an ActiveX version for IE only
- a Plugin version for most other browsers including Firefox
- On a Windows system, you should always update both individually.
You do not appear to have the Plugin version for Firefox installed. If you did, in Add-ons > Plugins you would see "Shockwave Flash (version)". If "Shockwave Flash" is there and is disabled, click the "Enable" button.
Check your Plugins often --> http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/
- only the most popular/used Plugins are known by this page
- page will detect only installed, enabled Plugins
Install or update Adobe Flash
- Using Firefox, go to the following link and SAVE the download to your desktop so you can find it later. Un-check any items on that page that you do not want to download (i.e., "McAfee Security Scan Plus":
- When the download is finished, close Firefox (File > Exit OR Firefox button > Exit)
- Click or double-click on the file you just saved to your desktop
- In the installation window that appears, click the box to the left of "I have read and...." to place a check mark in the box
- The "Install" button in the lower right corner will now be highlighted, click it.
- The installation is quick.
- Start Firefox and test your installation here: https://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/
- To update/install the ActiveX version for IE only, repeat the process, but use IE to go to the above website.
If this reply solves your problem, please click "Solved It" next to this reply when signed-in to the forum.