Firefox 8 doesn't start in Fedora 12
Downloaded firefox-8.0.tar.bz2 from getfirefox.com, unpacked, but Firefox 8.0 doesn't start:
I already have Firefox 3.6 installed as part of Fedora 12 and it works fine, but it's too old for some websites.
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
I manually updated Firefox to the latest version
- Shockwave Flash 11.0 r1
- The IcedTea NPR Web Browser Plugin (using IcedTea6 1.8.3 (fedora-188.8.131.52.fc12-x86_64)) executes Java applets.
- The Totem 2.28.6 plugin handles video and audio streams.
- DivX Web Player version 184.108.40.206
- This plug-in detects the presence of iTunes when opening iTunes Store URLs in a web page with Firefox.
- nspluginwrapper is a cross-platform NPAPI plugin viewer, in particular for linux/i386 plugins.This beta software is available under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:220.127.116.11) Gecko/20101027 Fedora/3.5.15-1.fc12 Firefox/3.5.15
[root@seb4 firefox]# uname -a
Linux seb4 18.104.22.168-175.fc12.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Dec 1 21:39:34 UTC 2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Sugestion: Upgrade your Fedora to the latest stable version by the built in update manager or follow the instructions on this site: http://fedoraproject.org
That's not the best way to install Firefox in a Linux distribution (like Fedora). You should have install it from the repository and not by downloading from that site.
Search in your system menu for an app called: "Add/remove packages", "Software Manager" or something like this. Then just search for Firefox by category or type in "Firefox" in search box. Then just install it to your system. It should work good then.
Also take a look at this topic: https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Installing%20Firefox%20on%20Linux#os=win&browser=fx9
FF isn't working => change your OS. What kind of "solution" is that? Also I already have the FF version installed by the SM.
I am switching to Chrome, which works *just* fine. Thank you.