PayPal reporting Security issues with Firefox 6.0.2
I keep getting a message when I log into my PayPal account saying that my Browser has security issues. I have downloaded update (6.0.2) but the message is still displayed. Please can you advise?
Additional System Details
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.1
- Google Update
- Shockwave Flash 10.3 r183
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_26 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:6.0.2) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/6.0.2
I am running Trusteer Rapport and Avast Antivirus.
I do not use PayPal but
- does their site give any additional information
- exactly what is the messsage
- are you able to quote it
- and attach a screenshot
'Update your browser, it looks like you're using an older browser then that may have known security issues. Help protect your account.' Followed by a PayPal link for updates for browser suppliers. I have updated twice from this link but the message is still displayed. I have contacted PayPal and am awaiting their response. Unable to supply a screenshot as the page is a secure page.
You should never respond to such a link or pop-up.
You may have caught malware by doing that.
You should only update via the official Mozilla site or via Help > About.
Do a malware check with some malware scanning programs.
You need to scan with all programs because each program detects different malware.
Make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of their databases before doing a scan.
- http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- http://www.superantispyware.com/ - SuperAntispyware
- http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx - Windows Defender: Home Page
- http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html - Spybot Search & Destroy
- http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php - Ad-Aware Free
- "Spyware on Windows": http://kb.mozillazine.org/Popups_not_blocked
I would think it is very unlikely that the link is bogus as it was on the PayPal website on my account page. Are you suggesting that PayPal has been compromised? The link was also on the PayPal website and I would think that an organisation as big as PayPal, would be aware of any security breach to their website. This information was not in the public domain but within PayPal.
But were you on the correct website, and did the popup actually come from that website. I would have thought PayPal may reply fairly quickly to emails regarding security, they also have a forum I believe.
Thanks for coming back. Yes I was logged into my account. The message was not a pop-up but was displayed in a message box at the top of my account page. I have e-mailed them so hopefully they will be able to shed some light on why the message is still being displayed. I also have Chrome installed and if I log into PayPal, I do not receive the message. The problem is only encountered when using Firefox.
I may have mentioned, I do not use paypal myself, I did however have a quick look around their site and saw no links offering browser updates.
The browser update down load information is only displayed on the PayPal individuals account pages. I have received a reply fom PayPal and it seems as if they are not aware of the problem.
'Thank you for contacting PayPal regarding errors with Firefox.
We are currently unaware of any issue involving Firefox Mr. Norton, currently there is only an issue with Google Chrome.
Please try clearing your cache and cookies and deleting any bookmarks you have saved for eBay and PayPal.'
As it seems to be not a problem, I'll try what they say.
Thanks again John.