Does firefox support WebP format?
google chrome and opera natively support WebP image format. i want to make sure , Does firefox support this format or not ? If the answer is no , please add this feature in the wishlist ..!
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 10.3 r181
- Picasa plugin
- Version 1.1.4, copyright 1996-2010 The VideoLAN Teamhttp://www.videolan.org/
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 18.104.22.1682
- Yahoo Application State Plugin version 22.214.171.124
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:7.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/7.0
No, Firefox does not support WebP and it is currently not planned to add support.
There's an implementation bug here: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=webp
And some more explanation why this bug is currently won'tfixed, here: http://muizelaar.blogspot.com/2011/04/webp.html
Hope this helps!
I hope in the near future the plan to add support for webp . it has very strong compression and really helps site's speed