how can i remove "babylon serch" that has infitrated my firefox or do i have to remove firefox and go back to ie
Please can you help Some type of virus has infiltrated my firefox/pc When i try to open a new tab in firefox it opens with babylon serch. Please tell me how to get rid of babylon or is the only option to remove firefox and go back to internet explorer (I would sooner stop with firefox it has been so good up to now)
Additional System Details
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.0
- Shockwave Flash 10.3 r183
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 18.104.22.1685
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_26 for Mozilla browsers
- Office Live Update v1.5
- Google Updater pluginhttp://pack.google.com/
- Google Update
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:6.0.2) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/6.0.2
It seems that an add-on was installed in your browser. Try typing Ctrl+Shift+a to open the add-ons manager and search for babylon in the "extensions" tab. This might help you.
Hi Jack I tried that and removed it but it was still there so I went back in and re-installed it (with the intention of removing again) it did not re-install and my firefox seems to be ok now (fingers crossed)
I'm glad you solved it. Cheers!
Hi Jack As you can probably tell I am quite new to this May I ask 1 more question please Do you know how to "get" a "new tab" to open as a specific page ie google Thanks Ivor..
Hey, Ivor. Look this thread. There's no practical way for doing this. You will have to install add-ons.
Hi Jack Not being too sure about "add ons" I saw the "middle button" option and this works good. Thanks for your help Look forward to "talking" again. Ivor.........
Left click on the Babylon icon, a pull down menu will appear. Take the bottom option "Manage search options..." Then select Babylon and click Remove...
A simple yet effective way to diable the computer to connect to Babylon all together is to modify the "Hosts" file.
You'll find the file at "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts" (no filtype suffix).
Open it with i.e. Notepad, it should look somewhat like this:
- Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
- This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
- This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
- entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
- be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
- The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
- Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
- lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
- For example:
- 22.214.171.124 rhino.acme.com # source server
- 126.96.36.199 x.acme.com # x client host
- localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
- 127.0.0.1 localhost
Now you simply add one line like this: 127.0.0.1 search.babylon.com
Save the file and your coputer will never get in touch with babylon search again, not even if you type the address into your browser!
I accidentally installed Babylon and the Babylon Toolbar as part of another software download, and now I cannot get rid of it! I tried uninstalling everything "Babylon" through the Control Panel, I tried removing any add-ons in Firefox and Internet Explorer, I tried following the directions on the Babylon website. I even searched my C: drive and deleted everything related to Babylon, cleaned out my temp folders, and restarted my system.
Anytime I type any search terms in the navigation bar, it pulls up a Babylon search page. I was able to remove the Babylon search engine from the search box, but it still shows up anytime I type search terms in the Navigation bar.
The folks at Babylon seem to have developed a program that glues itself to your computer and is not easy to remove. If Babylon wants people to use their products, this is NOT the way... I'm NEVER going to use anything Babylon again if I can help it.
Please help! I've searched my extensions and add-ons, I've gone through all of my Firefox options, and I've searched for help on the web. How do I remove this search from my Firefox preferences?????
BTW: I'm using Firefox 7.
Modified by 13jerm
"Anytime I type any search terms in the navigation bar, it pulls up a Babylon search page." Solution(forget the comas): - Type "about:config" on navigation. - Accept the risks. - On filter type "keyword.url". - Double click on the result. - Put the address of your favorite search engine for example google: http://www.google.com/search?hl=fr&q=
And that's all.
Modified by simongh78
Hi, after a couple of hours of frustration, I stumbled upon a solution I uninstalled it from my programs in start up - control panel
THEN open firefox, (top left hand firefox icon or tools, depending on your set up) go to ADD ONS then OPTIONS alter the following - when fox opens= (show my home page)
- home page = (type in the url you wish to now use) - click OK and this should work :)
Modified by Raelz