I just updated to Firefox 6.0.2 and it is still freezing intermitantly. It lasts for 30-60 seconds. Before the update it froze intermitantly for more than 60 seconds. Help me unfreeze firefox!
Firefox will crash and say NOT RESPONDING at random. This happened when I updated to 6. I don't want to have to break into my system to make it work when Firefox 5 and under worked fine.
edit fix found! You could downgrade, but it would be recommended that you downgrade to Firefox 3.6 as that is still supported, whereas Firefox 5 and 6 are not.
Any problem is quite likely to be related to the plugins or add-ons that you use rather than to Firefox itself. Such problems are often quite specific to the setup and combinations of software extensions used, so if you do have a problem with Firefox not responding it may help to start your own thread with full details of your own setup.
If you are getting a message saying it is not responding then probably nothing is actually crashing.
If you do get a crash it could be (in order of severity)
- your OS: Windows that crashes,
- the Firefox Browser itself,
- or a Firefox process running as a plugin container.
Firefox itself is usually quite stable and responsive. (You appear to be using a 64 bit computer system, so problems are unlikely to relate to the machine not meeting Firefox minimum specs)
First of all try in firefox's Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode but do not make changes when you get the check list just click on continue. If that fails to help, next try disabling or even uninstalling any plugins and themes. See Troubleshoot issues with plugins like Flash or Java to fix common Firefox problems.
If all else fails fall back on the guide
- Troubleshoot and diagnose Firefox problems <-- blue clickable link --
possible cause and workaround
Additional System Details
- Foxit Reader Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.44.9
- Version 184.108.40.206
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.0
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Google Update
- Unity Player 2.6.1f3
- Shockwave Flash 10.3 r183
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 220.127.116.110
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Picasa plugin
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_26 for Mozilla browsers
- Version 1.1.9, copyright 1996-2011 The VideoLAN Teamhttp://www.videolan.org/
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:6.0.2) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/6.0.2
Since I created this thread, I will say that I updated to Firefox 8 Beta and I decided to try enabling my themes and try different ones other than the default and everything seems fine now. Hmmm, maybe the frefox people actually DO listen to us and try fixing things when stuff goes wrong. What a novel idea, having a forum where one can ask a question and people actually Do respond ;^)
I want to thank you guys doing this forum because you put up with a lot of junk and trolls, etc. I have had nothing but a positive experience here (aside from the trolls) in dealing with my issue.