Firefox 3.5.19 wont stop trying to update on non intel max OSX 10.5 how to stop continuous dutomatic 3.6.18 download attempt?
Clicking on the 'Help' menu shows that Firefox is continuously trying to access server showing 'Downloading Firefox 3.6.18' which it never completes. I went to Firefox Homepage to download lasted version of Firefox and get message Unfortunately the latest version of Firefox isn't compatible with your computer's operating system I am using Mac OSX 10.5 on non intel dual 2GHz processor Mac. How do I stop Firefox from attempting to attempting to download update 3.6.18 every time I have an internet connection? Regards Mark Nicholls - Wellington - New Zealand
Additional System Details
- Gecko default plugin
- Runs Java applets using the latest installed versions of Java. For more information: Java Embedding Plugin. Run version test: Java Information.
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r102
- The Flip4Mac WMV Plugin allows you to view Windows Media content using QuickTime.
- Office Live Update v1.0
- Macromedia Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 10.1.1
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:22.214.171.124) Gecko/20110420 Firefox/3.5.19
- Firefox 4 versions and later do not run on a PowerPC Mac.
- Firefox 4 and later require at least OS X 10.5 and an Intel Mac.
For an unofficial Firefox 4 compatible version (TenFourFox) that runs on PowerPC Macs with OS X 10.4.11 or OS X 10.5.8 you can look at:
Firefox 3.6.x (Mac OS X 10.4 and later) can be found here:
Thanks I realise that it won't run on non Intel. However it is trying to download update. I can't stop the 'automatic download' it has been trying to download for what seems forever. I've gone to Preferences and removed the rick in Automatically chec,k for updates to Firefox and removed the tick from Automatically download and install the updates but it seems to be stuck in a loop trying to download an update that won't run on my Mac. Any suggestions appreciated.
If files already have been downloaded then you need to remove the files in the updates and updates/0 folder in the Firefox installation folder. You can delete active-update.xml and updates.xml as well if present.
Thanks. That seems to have fixed it.