Unknown user agent at several forums when using other than firefox 3.6
I tried upgrading to firefox 4.x and was no longer able to log in to several forums. I've heard this problem exist for other members too. So I went back to 3.6 and it worked again. I like Firefox very much and want to keep my system up to date but I need to have access to the forums that I moderate.
The unknown user agent message happens with all higher versions then 3.6. I hope this can be solved or that there is a proper workaround.
Best regards, Paul
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
Using any version higher then 3.6
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.4.5"
- Default Plug-in
- Shockwave Flash 10.3 r181
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_23 for Mozilla browsers
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; nl; rv:18.104.22.168) Gecko/20110803 Firefox/3.6.20
It started when I wanted to upgrade to 4.x
That is going to have to be fixed in the forum software or users are going to need to install a user agent switcher addon to fake the user agent that Firefox is sending, but that may cause problems on other websites which are HTML5 compatible.