I am unable to implement upgrades due to lost password record. Can I remove the current version of Firefox and install new version of the software? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
When I bring up Firefox I get an alert stating that my version of Firefox needs to be updated due to security issues. I run a Imac with a 10.5 version of the OS. In the past when I have tried to update the software the OS requests a administrative password. Passwords have turned into a tracking nightmare (at least it seems so for me). When I try to use (create) a password I am alerted that the password is in use, not available to me and hence I must dig deep and come up with a new one. I have been employed in the computer industry for over 30 + years and I am burned out on password creation. I started keeping a list of my passwords but have lost the record and now find myself unable to implement recommended changes because I cannot provide the requested password. I wondering if it would work if I just deleted the software needing and upgrade and download the latest stuff.
Thank you, Scott Healy
Modified by cor-el
Additional System Details
Not sure how often
- Netscape Navigator Default Plug-in
- Runs Java applets using the latest installed versions of Java. For more information: Java Embedding Plugin. Run version test: Java Information.
- Unity Web Player lets you experience dazzling interactive 3D right in your browser. For more information, visit Unity .
- Shockwave Flash 10.0 r42
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:22.214.171.124) Gecko/2009060214 Firefox/3.0.11
If you have problems with updating or with the permissions then easiest is to download the full version and trash the currently installed version to do a clean install of the new version.
Download a new copy of the Firefox program and save the DMG file to the desktop
- Firefox 5.0.x: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html
- Trash the current Firefox application to do a clean (re-)install
- Install the new version that you have downloaded
Your profile data is stored elsewhere in the Firefox Profile Folder, so you won't lose your bookmarks and other personal data.